Star Trek
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Member Groups

3 posters

Go down

Member Groups Empty Member Groups

Post by Wesley Crusher's Wife Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:18 pm

Member Groups Aeslt1_th
Admiral
1. Wesley Crusher's Wife

Member Groups 2gv57cz_th
Commodore
1. Julian Star

Member Groups S2fjo5_th
Fleet Captain
1. MasterOfEvil
2. Bloodlord

Member Groups Kb3qbq_th
Captain
1. KathrynJaneway
2. N8-Dawgg
3. Kawaii Usagi

Member Groups 260pp9f_th
Commander
1. Will and Chakotay Fan
2. Lady Vampyre
3. TheCMO
4. HumanoidX

Member Groups 148kcvk_th
Lieutenant Commander
1. xConsumed.by.Lovex
2. Lt. Commander Data

Member Groups 2h6suhg_th
Lieutenant

Member Groups Zvd0zd_th
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member Groups 2rwopyh_th
Ensign

Member Groups 2vbv8fq_th
Chief

Crewman
Open to all members.

Last edited by Wesley Crusher's Wife on Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:03 am; edited 14 times in total
Wesley Crusher's Wife
Wesley Crusher's Wife
Admiral
Admiral

Female Sagittarius
Pig
Birthday : 1983-12-20
Job/hobbies : Writing stories and poems

https://startrek.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Member Groups Empty Re: Member Groups

Post by KathrynJaneway Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:32 pm

well, the first thing i could add is that in the Federation, there are more ranks they you have noted, and that could be fixed if you changed the number to each ranking.

• Fleet admiral: The most senior flag rank in Starfleet. In 2293, the commander in chief of Starfleet held this rank. (Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country)
  • Admiral: The second most senior flag rank known to exist in Starfleet.
  • Vice admiral: Starfleet flag rank immediately inferior to full admiral, but superior to a rear admiral.
  • Rear admiral: The lowest grade of admiral in Starfleet. It is inferior to a vice admiral, and superior to a commodore or captain.
  • Commodore: Superior to Captain, inferior to Rear Admiral.
  • Captain: The most senior regular line rank in Starfleet. It is most often held by starship and starbase commanders, as well as adjutants and executives serving beneath admirals. This rank is usually considered a big transition, because it is often the first rank in which officers run a base of operation (for example, a starship) more or less by themselves. The equivalent ground forces rank to Starfleet captain is colonel. It should also be noted that there are rare cases of officers holding the Captain's rank have served other than the commanding officer of starship. Examples of this include Spock and Scotty, who have held the rank of Captain while serving under James T. Kirk, who also held the equal rank of Captain. Departments in rare cases can get a Captain as the superior head of that particular department such as Montgomery Scott being a "Captain of Engineering" during the film Star Trek III: The Search for Spock. Other examples of this also include William T. Riker and Worf, both of which have attained the rank of Captain (in Worf's case, through the Klingon Defense Force) while under the command of Captain Jean-Luc Picard. Another example of a Captain holding a position other than commanding a starship is that of Phillipa Louvois who held the rank while working as a prosecutor under the office of the Judge Advocate General. In the modern US Navy, captain is a four-stripe officer rank. This insignia style was used in ENT all TNG era productions. During TOS and the movies, it had differing insignia. The TOS captains wore one full braid, a broken braid and another full braid. However, in the pilot "The Cage", Captain Pike wore only a single rank strip, so it was not clear how other officers were differentiated from captains. By "Where No Man Has Gone Before", Kirk was the only officer with two stripes, but that system didn't differentiate any other officer grades below captain except for no-stripe ensigns.
  • Commander: The Starfleet line rank immediately inferior to captain. Typical assignments at this rank include executive officer of larger vessels such as the Galaxy and Sovereign class, space station commander (such as Benjamin Sisko of Deep Space 9 prior to his promotion to captain in 2371), and commanding officer of smaller vessels. The rank of commander is also available to chief medical officers and ship counselors who pass the Bridge Officer's Test. An officer who holds the rank of commander is expected to be able to assume command of a starship should the situation call for it. Officers at this rank typically have 10-15 years of experience in Starfleet.
  • Lieutenant commander: The Starfleet line rank immediately inferior to commander. Officers with this rank typically hold positions as senior department heads on larger vessels such as the Galaxy and Sovereign class. A lieutenant commander will typically serve as the executive officer of smaller or older vessels. On most starships, the second officer holds this rank (such as Data of the USS Enterprise or Tuvok of the USS Voyager) In some rare cases, a lieutenant commander may also serve as the commanding officer of a smaller vessel, such as Jadzia Dax of the USS Defiant for a brief period in 2374.
  • Lieutenant: The Starfleet line rank immediately inferior to lieutenant commander. Officers at this rank typically have some command experience, and are occasionally appointed department heads on starships. Typically they are shift commanders in a department under a lieutenant commander; for example, a lieutenant commander will be chief of engineering and will also be commander of A shift, and there will be a B and a C shift, each under a lieutenant. Additionally, some advanced Starfleet training programs, such as Advanced Tactical Training, commission their graduates at this rank. The United States armed forces have various programs for service members to begin their careers as officers in higher pay grades than second lieutenant or ensign, with commissioning in the rank of Lieutenant common for such United States Navy occupations as Judge Advocate General Corps (JAG), Chaplains, Medical and Medical Service Corps, as well as the Navy Dental Corps. Whether Starfleet utilizes a similar policy for commissioning officers in the medical and science fields is unknown, although highly likely given Counselor Deanna Troi's rapid rise to lieutenant commander after her advanced studies on Betazed. This may also explain how Saavik of Vulcan was both a cadet and a lieutenant in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.
  • Lieutenant junior grade: The Starfleet line rank immediately inferior to lieutenant. Officers at this rank typically hold support positions on starships and starbases. At this rank, they have begun to prove their ability to perform acceptably in Starfleet, and typically begin to take on more senior roles in command situations. Typical posts at this rank are conn officer, communications officer, or second officer of a shift (see lieutenant). It is also the rank bestowed on medical doctors and counselors (but not nurses) upon completion of their studies and training at Starfleet Medical Academy or elsewhere. This rank acknowledges the additional time required to become commissioned as reflected in Beverly Crusher's service record and confirmed by Julian Bashir's age as a recent Academy graduate. Assistant counselor Ezri Dax skipped her final months of training and was explicitly given "commission as a full counselor with the rank of lieutenant (junior grade)".
  • Ensign: The most junior Starfleet line rank. It is the rank bestowed on newly-commissioned officers when they graduate from Starfleet Academy. Ensigns typically begin their careers as the most junior officers in the department of their chosen specialty. Ensigns who have strongly distinguished themselves in their academy class or on duty may sometimes be given posts as main-shift bridge officers (for example Ensign Harry Kim). A typical officer spends approximately three years at the rank of ensign.

granted, this is all copy/pasted from Memory Alpha, but i thought this would also be helpful for any new members coming in to know what each ranking means.

to that end, i would like to take the role of Captain, unless you are making a Vice Admiral spot.
KathrynJaneway
KathrynJaneway
Captain
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by Wesley Crusher's Wife Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:37 pm

I'm not adding more because that will be too many. Besides I didn't know about the ones you mentioned. Because I only ever watch TNG. I don't want the other Star Trek series so I didn't know about those ranks. I'm keeping the ranks I have.
Wesley Crusher's Wife
Wesley Crusher's Wife
Admiral
Admiral

Female Sagittarius
Pig

Back to top Go down

Post by Wesley Crusher's Wife Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:49 pm

One more thing that's their Federation ranks. These are my Federation ranks because I got the ranks I have from Wikipedia.
Wesley Crusher's Wife
Wesley Crusher's Wife
Admiral
Admiral

Female Sagittarius
Pig

Back to top Go down

Post by KathrynJaneway Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:03 pm

that's fine and dandy, honestly.

however, i hope you will take what Wikipedia posts with a grain of salt, because they can be wrong. that is the drawback to a website anyone can edit.

Memory Alpha and Memory Beta are the two official Wikias authorised by Paramount, who owns the rights to the Star Trak franchise, and as such, all information on those sites is more official that Wikipedia will ever be.

on top of that, there have been Vice Admirals shown in TNG, with the most recent one being myself in the Nemesis film.

(OOC: well that was done totally in character... sorry if i sound mean, just wanted to make that clear. i completely understand about you not changing anything, it was just a suggestion.)
KathrynJaneway
KathrynJaneway
Captain
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by Wesley Crusher's Wife Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:10 pm

No that's fine. Besides I also wanted my ranks to be a bit different then the show. Also everyone has a different way of doing their forum ranks and this is my way. That way no two forum ranks are the same.
Wesley Crusher's Wife
Wesley Crusher's Wife
Admiral
Admiral

Female Sagittarius
Pig

Back to top Go down

Member Groups Empty Whereever is fine.

Post by Lt. Commander Data Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:39 am

There is only so many left, but I'm already Lt. Commander, so guess, why not, lol.?
Lt. Commander Data
Lt. Commander Data
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Male Aquarius
Tiger
Birthday : 1974-02-07
Job/hobbies : IT Pro, Gaming Tech, Blogger
Humor : But I am not capable of love.

http://www.technogamerzpro.com, www.newgenforums.co.nr, www.myst

Back to top Go down